From: "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Renaming entries?
Date: 1999/02/17
Date: 1999-02-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dennison@telepath.com a �crit dans le message
<7aelgt$2hr$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I don't really understand the error I'm getting, but I'm getting
pretty much
>the same error message from 2 different compilers.
>
>What I'm trying to do is rename a task entry to be a procedure. The
procedure
>is declared in the package spec, but the renaming is done in the
body. I'm
>wondering if that's my problem. Does a renaming have to be a
procedure
>*declaration*, or can it be the completion of a declaration?
>[example snipped]
Renaming-as-body needs to be subtype conformant, and this implies
having the same calling conventions. A procedure has calling
convention "Ada", but a task entry has calling convention "intrinsic".
Therefore, it is not allowed. Take off lawyer's hat.

Now, you can imagine that for the compiler, calling a "true"
subprogram is not the same thing as calling a task entry. If this were
allowed, you could put a procedure declaration in a package spec, and
rename-it-as-body-as-entry-call in the package body.
But since you are supposed to be able to call the procedure when you
have seen the specification only, the poor compiler would be in a very
bad shape...
           J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog@wanadoo.fr)
Visit Adalog's web site at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/adalog