From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: MI for Ada
Date: 1999/02/18
Date: 1999-02-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7a86q2$kec$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
[...]
|Hmm! Nick, you have a long way to go in analyzing difficult
|RM issues. No particular difficulty??? This is in fact a
|VERY difficult proposal to get right, and almost certainly
|it will run aground on any number of rocks on the way.
|
|Multiple inheritance is a well known landmine in
|programming language semantic definition land!

Noted.

|Have you read the AI's. I assume so if you are even vaguely
|serious about implementing an Ada 95 compiler. If not, you
|should, it would give you an interesting insight into the
|delicate semantic issues of the language. Actually reading
|the AARM is also a good way to get a feeling for this.

I'm in the process of reading the AI95s and the AARM. And yes, both are most
illuminating. Entertaining too, sometimes. The comment on the end of the AI
on the 'List' pragma - something like "this must be the most pointless AI
imaginable" - made me laugh out loud. I was amazed at how another
(admittedly unimportant) AI, about time zones, seems to be just dropped
unresolved. But that'll keep for another thread.

And yes, I am serious about it. I don't have any great illusion about the
enormity of the task - I suppose I feel a bit like Edmund Hillary or Tensing
Norgay standing at the foot of Mt Everest/Chomolungma - but I intend to
conquer!

Nick Roberts

Nothing Venture, Nothing Win