From: Optikos <ZUERCHER_Andreas@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: Advice on best environment for Ada on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 07:31:59 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2020-02-13T07:31:59-08:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 11:13:16 PM UTC-6, Rick Newbie wrote:
> I'm new to Ada and slowly getting into my first small programs. The
> question that arises soon after the first steps is that of the best
> working environment, so I wanted to hear what the regular Ada users work
> with.
>
> So far I have identified three possible scenarios:
>
> 1) GPS only. While GPS looks good it becomes rather fickle when you
> start working with it. The underlying Python stuff seems to be a
> constant source of trouble, some scripts that come with GPS are flat out
> buggy etc. While it is good to work with the project hierarchy and
> getting online help, the editor is simply not up to the job, not to
> mention the shaky interaction with external programs most notably gdb.
>
> 2) GPS with an external text editor. I installed Emacs and am working
> through their tutorial as well. I have been a Visual Studio user for
> many years and thus I am spoiled but back in the 90s, I was working on
> some Wordstar compatible editor, can't remember the name, and with
> Watcom C compiler which was all pretty basic so I'm no stranger to a
> retro looking command line environment. I know Emacs has an Ada module
> which I haven't installed yet but I assume it will be working fine since
> I read a lot about it.
>
> 3) Then there is Slickedit. That one looks great and even has a built in
> Ada browser. The problem is it is basically impossible to compile a
> gprbuild script from within Slickedit, at least I couldn't get it going
> and from my conversation on their forum it seems they don't get it
> working either. Slickedit also has problems with reference building
> often times it does not recognize identifiers that it should have
> tagged, but hasn't. Also the "Gnat Ada project" option does not
> recognize the Ada include directory, you have to create a new "other"
> project and then set up everything Ada related by hand.
>
> At the moment I tend to solution 2, although I have to learn the use of
> Emacs on top of it all, but that seems to be rather simple with some
> cheat sheet, unless installing the Ada module requires fiddling with
> Lisp scripts since I know absolutely nothing about Lisp.
>
> So what does everyone else use? What is the best solution here?

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AlexGamper.VisualAda

VisualAda* is trying hard to be the state-of-the-art for full integration of Ada into VisualStudio 2017 and VisualStudio 2019.  This integration includes Ada-WinRT, which is Ada's equivalent of C++/WinRT 1.X.  (C++/WinRT 2.X is based on the new Microsoft Xlang** language-interworking infrastructure/code-generator, but VisualAda predates this, so it hasn't come under the Xlang umbrella.)

* open-sourced in pieces at:
https://github.com/Alex-Gamper?tab=repositories

** open-sourced at:
https://github.com/Microsoft/xlang