From: onox <denkpadje@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so when gps is launched.
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 18:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-09-09T18:40:06-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sep 9, 11:35 am, Thiago Holanda <thola...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Olá,
>
> I am using the Ubuntu 11.04 and I downloaded and installed the gnat-
> gpl-2011-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-bin.tar.gz.
>
> When i launch the gps, i have this error:
>
> thiago@thiago-micro:~$ gps
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-
> gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> The gps works even this error, but i would like to resolve it.
>
> So does anyone have an idea to fix it? it sounds environment variable.
>
> Thank you for help,
>
> Thiago

My guess is that gps modifies the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable so that
gps_exe (binary executed by gps) links to the .so files provided by
GPS instead of linking to your system's .so files. It seems, at least
here, GPS doesn't provide libcanberra-gtk-module.so. I'm not on Debian/
ubuntu so I have to run gps_exe instead so that it links with my
system .so files; it's really evil but without it GPS looks very ugly.

But in your case the best thing would be to install GPS via your