* PTC Ada products
@ 2016-02-10 16:30 G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2016-02-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Short summary of PTC Ada Group's presentation of today.
[PTC has acquired Atego (recursively), also former Rational/IBM
Ada products.]

Some emphasized words:
- recommitted [sic] to Ada products after integration with PTC, focused
- licensing is moving towards subscription
- support portal

Three Ada products:
- Apex Ada  (Ada 2005, v.5.0)
- Object Ada (Ada 2005, v.9.1+)
- Ada World (Ada 83, limited support, legacy)
- 3rd party additions like ASIS based Ada analyzer

IDEs:
- Linux (Motif), Eclipse, Win32 IDE, ...
- Debugger can now handle DLLs [Note: this is a programmable debugger]

About hosts/targets:
- VxWorks, Solaris, LynxOS, Linux (incl 64 bit), Windows 7+, ...
+ Ravenscar
- bare exec
- mostly Intel, Sparc, PowerPC; native and X-compilers
- updates for RTOSs, including support for new ones,
   are based on customers' requirements, and funding

* Re: PTC Ada products
@ 2016-02-10 18:07 ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2016-02-10 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

10.2.2016, 18.30, G.B. wrote:
> Short summary of PTC Ada Group's presentation of today.
> [PTC has acquired Atego (recursively), also former Rational/IBM
> Ada products.]
>
> Some emphasized words:
> - licensing is moving towards subscription

I asked about ObjectAda from Atego some years ago.

At that time there were two problems:
1) Subscription based licensing, you lose the right
    to use the compiler when the subscription ends.
2) They only deal with other companies and have no processes
    how to deal with invidual people

As a Northern European person with a day job, it makes
no sense for me to create a company. I also could pay
somewhat largish price for perpetual license with
1y support contract, but it makes no sense (for hobbyist)
if I cannot use the compiler after that one year.

It was also interesting that one largish client of Atego
asked if Atego could simply give me a license for one of
their Ada compiler, but that wasn't possible since I did
not have that company. (The problem was not money if I
understood correctly.)

It would be nice if merge to PTC has brought some changes
to this, but I haven't had time to ask about it personally.

Yours,
  Tero

* PTC Ada products
@ 2016-02-10 20:46 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2016-02-10 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about the Rational  Ada products?
There's this group -- http://datamuseum.dk/wiki/Rational/R1000s400 -- that wants to restore an R1000 and it seems all they need is the OS.

Aside from that it woul be nice if their old libraries were made available.

* Re: PTC Ada products
@ 2016-02-10 20:58   ` erlo
From: erlo @ 2016-02-10 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-02-2016 21:46, Shark8 wrote:
> What about the Rational  Ada products?
> There's this group -- http://datamuseum.dk/wiki/Rational/R1000s400 -- that wants to restore an R1000 and it seems all they need is the OS.
>
> Aside from that it woul be nice if their old libraries were made available.

I think they have found tapes (8 mm DAT) with the Environment, but the
IOC-board is non-op with a memory error. If anyone can supply them with
a Motorola 60030 ICE (not to keep, just for finding the error in the
hardware) that would be a great help I think.

Even better would be a working IOC, but that is a lot to ask....

Erlo

* Re: PTC Ada products
@ 2016-02-11 18:04 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-02-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder what their business model will be. It would be nice if they are considering open sourcing (with properly free non-virused run times) and selling support based products. If they took that route it would open a very interesting and lucrative future for them and Ada.

David Botton