From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: ML-like alternatives to out parameters for functions
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:09:24 GMT
Date: 2003-03-18T21:09:24+00:00	[thread overview]

> Am I wrong to assume that the Ada-way is definitely to use the
> discriminated return type, even in the case that Ada may get out
  Any time you have two variables which only make sense together
but not separately, you have, conceptually, a single object.  That
can be modelled nicely in this case with a discriminated record.
If you treat them as two separate things, there is always a significant
danger of erroneously letting them get out of sync with each other.
  If profiling demonstrates that returning a discriminated record is
too slow for the app, then it may be worth while to go to in-lining
the calculation, separate variables, assembly language, etc.