From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:16:20 -0500
Date: 2006-06-30T17:16:20-05:00	[thread overview]

"Stephen Leake" <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in message
news:ud5cqvdtq.fsf@nasa.gov...
> "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:
> > I usually like examples in making choices about what to use in my
> > code. For example, how do I use ada.directories.
>
> Ada.Directories is new in Ada 2005, so an Ada 95 book won't talk about
> it. After Ada 2005 is finally approved, there may be some books
> written about it.

John Barnes' book, "Programming in Ada 2005" is available now. See
http://www.adaic.com/learn/textbook.html for details. John gave me a copy at
the recent Ada Europe show, and my desk has sagged considerably ever
since.... :-)

Section 21.8 covers Ada.Directories. (It's fairly short, actually, there is
a lot of the same material in the section 7.4 of the Ada 2005 Rationale:
http://www.adaic.com/standards/05rat/html/Rat-7-4.html. That's not
surprising, as John wrote both books.)

The nice thing about John's book is that it covers the entire Ada 2005
language. The other materials cover just the new stuff (like Directories and
Containers), which is fine for old Ada hands, but newcomers are better off
seeing the big picture.

I also highly recommend Norm Cohen's book "Ada as a Second Language" (see
the same listing of textbooks for details). There are also a number of
downloadable books available.

                          Randy Brukardt.