From: "Anders Wirzenius" <anders.wirzenius@pp.qnet.fi>
Subject: Re: Style question: deep inheritance
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 06:56:03 GMT
Date: 2002-12-04T06:56:03+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marc A. Criley" <mcq95@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3DECAA3A.F3E7BA90@earthlink.net...
> The technique I've been using lately to good effect is to employ "use"
> clauses that eliminate all but the "bottom" package.  E.g., for
> SAM.Entities.Things.Portals, I'd have a "use SAM.Entities.Things;", so
> then Portals components get referenced as "Portals.Teleport", for
> instance.
>
> This doesn't help with long filenames, but you can use gnatkr to aid
> cutting down the length of names.
>
> Marc A. Criley
> Quadrus Corporation
> www.quadruscorp.com

"All but the ""bottom"" package" is an excellent technique! Why have I not
discovered that myself ;-(

A small 2 cents comment which, again, is borrowed from another (at least J-P
Rosen):
The more natural place for the use clause is in the code right before it is
needed, not at the beginning of the package as a tail to the with clause.
like:
with SAM.Entities.Things;
code not using SAM.Entities.Things
define
  use SAM.Entities.Things;
begin
   Portals.Teleport...
end;
code
end;

Thanks for "allowing" to use your code, Marc.

Anders