* Book reviews of John Barnes' latest Ada 95 book
@ 1999-02-05  0:00 Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 1999-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

As mentioned in earlier posts, John's book has received only a few
positive reviews and a number of rather odd and very negative ones.
The unfortunate effect is that the summary "stars" rating -- what one
sees initially -- is IMHO very misleading and does damage to a fine
book.

Several people have indicated here on c.l.a. that they highly regarded
the book.  Let me suggest to everyone that has both read and enjoyed
John's book to go to www.amazon.com, do a ISBN search on 0201342936,
and enter a review.

I promise this is the last time I will harp on this issue. I learned
Ada from his blue and green books and it really annoys me to see this
latest one unjustifiably trashed.

---
Pat Rogers                          Training & Development in:
http://www.classwide.com    Deadline Schedulability Analysis
progers@acm.org                 Software Fault Tolerance
(281)648-3165                       Real-Time/OO Languages

* Re: Book reviews of John Barnes' latest Ada 95 book
@ 1999-02-06  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure there must be an awful lot of people who grew up on Barnes' books
(I am one) who must feel the same as yourself.

Nick Roberts

* Re: Book reviews of John Barnes' latest Ada 95 book
@ 1999-02-08  0:00 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 1999-02-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pat Rogers wrote:

> As mentioned in earlier posts, John's book has received only a few
> positive reviews and a number of rather odd and very negative ones.
> The unfortunate effect is that the summary "stars" rating -- what one
> sees initially -- is IMHO very misleading and does damage to a fine
> book.
>
> Several people have indicated here on c.l.a. that they highly regarded
> the book.  Let me suggest to everyone that has both read and enjoyed
> John's book to go to www.amazon.com, do a ISBN search on 0201342936,
> and enter a review.
>
> I promise this is the last time I will harp on this issue. I learned
> Ada from his blue and green books and it really annoys me to see this
> latest one unjustifiably trashed.
>
> ---
> Pat Rogers                          Training & Development in:
> http://www.classwide.com    Deadline Schedulability Analysis
> progers@acm.org                 Software Fault Tolerance
> (281)648-3165                       Real-Time/OO Languages

I fully agree.  It is a shame that a few idiots (who obviously chose
the wrong field of study) can do such damage to one the best assets
the Ada language has had.

Take the time and submit a fair review, even if only a few words!

Jerry

=  Jerry Petrey - Consultant Software Engineer  - Member Team Ada   =
=                 Lockheed Martin                 Member Team Forth =