From: adam@irvine.com
Subject: Re: Accessibility levels, continued
Date: 1999/02/05
Date: 1999-02-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <79dse1$ut4$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, I scribbled:

. . .
> 3.10.2(13): The accessibility level of Inner_Param's anonymous access
> type is the same as that of the view designated by the actual, in this
> case Outer_Param.
>
> I don't know the exact meaning of the "view designated by the actual"
> when the actual is another parameter.  I haven't found any reason to
> believe that the last clause of the above paragraph is different from,
> more simply, "the accessibility level of Outer_Param".  Which leads
> us to:

Aaaaugh, I blew this one too.  It didn't occur to me while I was reading
the text that "designate" had a technical meaning other than just being
an English word.  It's defined in 3.10(1), so "view designated by the
actual" actually means "the thing that the actual parameter points to."
That makes more sense.

I miss the cross-references that used to occur at the end of every section
in the Ada 83 manual.  Those references would have included the word
"designate", and that would have tipped me off that I would need to look
up what the word meant in this context.  Meanwhile, I'm 0 for 2, tripped up
both times on words beginning with "d".  Time to start boning up on some of
the other basic concepts of the language: declarative region, dispatching,
discriminant, dynamic binding . . .

				-- Adam