From: bourguet@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Bit manipulation in Ada
Date: 1999/02/04
Date: 1999-02-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <79bvb3$99p$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  msnata@iptn.co.id wrote:
> M. Suryanata
> Phone: 022 674364
> Bandung
> Indonesia
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am still studying in Informatic Department at  Bandung Institute Technology.
> For my thesis, I use Ada language in coding phase.
> I am not familiar with Ada language  but I have to use it because it is one of
> the requirements given to me by my Advisor.

We hope that after your thesis, you'll choose Ada because you like it.

> I use alot of bit manipulations, such as: shift left "<<", XOR  "^" in C
> language, for my project.
> Does Ada language have these features or capabilities  ?

C bit manipulations may be implemented in (at least) 3 ways in Ada:

1) (packed) array of boolean, if you are really manipulating bits.

2) representation clauses, if you want to extract fields

3) modular types, if you really need both an integer meaning and
bit manipulation. This is like unsigned numbers in C, but I would
recommand you consider the other 2 ways before... just because you
are less familiar with.

Yours,

-- Jean-Marc