* GtkAda under Win32 - How To page announcement
@ 1999-02-02  0:00 Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1999-02-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've set up a page that describes how to get the GNU Gtk Ada GUI binding
working
under Win32. Since the current native Gtk library under win32 can not be
compiled
with GCC the binding was built by utilizing pre-built dlls from the Win32
Native
GIMP port and compiling the required C components of the Ada binding with
EGCS
(since GCC 2.8.1 does not support the extentions required to compile the
header files.)
The two .o files from this process are includes so that users without EGCS
can make
use of the binding with their current GNAT installtions.

http://www.mv.com/users/jcreem/programming/win32gtk.htm

In any case, if you grab the zip archive from this page you can get started
using the Gtk Ada binding under Windows. Current version was tested with
GNAT 3.10p. If any changes are required for 3.11p I'll post them.

Jeff Creem

* Re: GtkAda under Win32 - How To page announcement
@ 1999-02-05  0:00 ` Steve Whalen
From: Steve Whalen @ 1999-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for putting GtkAda for Win32 together.

I tried it with GNAT 3.11p and have barely had time to test it, but
did notice that a few of tests (like color selection) in testgtk.exe
"crater" the program (i.e. it just disappears).  Do you know if that
could be related to 3.11p vs. 3.10p? Or do I need to break out the
debugger?

Steve
--
{===--------------------------------------------------------------===}
                Steve Whalen     swhalen@netcom.com

* Re: GtkAda under Win32 - How To page announcement
@ 1999-02-08  0:00   ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1999-02-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <swhalenF6oot9.3tE@netcom.com>, Steve Whalen
<swhalen@netcom.com> wrote:

>Thanks for putting GtkAda for Win32 together.
>
>I tried it with GNAT 3.11p and have barely had time to test it, but
>did notice that a few of tests (like color selection) in testgtk.exe
>"crater" the program (i.e. it just disappears).  Do you know if that
>could be related to 3.11p vs. 3.10p? Or do I need to break out the
>debugger?
>
>Steve
>--
>{===--------------------------------------------------------------===}
>                Steve Whalen     swhalen@netcom.com
>{===--------------------------------------------------------------===}

I should have put together a test report of what currentlty works
and what does not work. I think somewhere in the readme I mentioned that
there are certainly problems with this stuff.

 At the moment there are several curl up die type bugs (not different
with 3.11p or 3.10p).

I have not had the time to track them down yet but note that the
gtk library that this is built with is still in a beta stage (it
is being done to port GIMP to win32) And right now even GIMP under
win32 has plenty of curl up and die bugs. (Although it is not too bad
really).

I would not yet recommend this for any deployed applications (under
win32 that is).

Note that I started putting together a new release based upon the
0.5 version of the bindings and a new release of the Gtk library but it was
somewhat less stable than the last release (And I noted a similar loss in
stability for the GIMP version too so I guess it is not really a surprise).

So to sum it up...This is certainly a work in progress.. As new versions
of GIMP and or the GtkAda binding come out I will do new releases. I am
hoping that with the next "stable" release of the Gtk library that some
of the version mismatch issues will be solved too.

At some point I might like to get a MS C++ compiler so I can debug and
track down problems in the Gtk stuff that may be specific to using the
Gtk library as a general purpose library (rather than just a port to
support GIMP).

Nice to know people are looking at this!.

Jeff