* keyboard polling in ADA
@ 1995-03-09  2:13 Matthew S Low
From: Matthew S Low @ 1995-03-09  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Our software engineering class is attempting to write an ADA program that
requires keyboard polling. In other words, we want to enter a loop and
continue that loop until the user presses any key on the keyboard. This
sounds like a fairly easy process to implement, but a very difficult one to
find info on. Any info or hints on how to achieve keyboard polling using ADA
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Matt Low
(mlow@galaxy.calpoly.edu)

* Re: keyboard polling in ADA
@ 1995-03-10  9:31 ` David Arno
From: David Arno @ 1995-03-10  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jlo93$4pv@galaxy.csc.calpoly.edu>
           mlow@galaxy.csc.calpoly.edu "Matthew S Low" writes:

> Our software engineering class is attempting to write an ADA program that
> requires keyboard polling. In other words, we want to enter a loop and
> continue that loop until the user presses any key on the keyboard. This
> sounds like a fairly easy process to implement, but a very difficult one to
> find info on. Any info or hints on how to achieve keyboard polling using ADA
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Matt Low
> (mlow@galaxy.calpoly.edu)

Perhaps if you specified what computer you are attempting to do this on, you
might get some help from ppl.
--
David Arno

* keyboard polling in ADA
@ 1995-03-10 17:26 Matthew S Low
From: Matthew S Low @ 1995-03-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry, in my last posting for keyboard polling in Ada I forgot to
mention that I am attempting to do this using BSD UNIX. I was also asked
whether I was trying to "do something" while the program looped waiting for
a keystroke, and the answer is yes. I'm beginning to look into the areas of
interrupts and forking tasks in ADA. Any help or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Matt
(mlow@galaxy.calpoly.edu)

* Re: keyboard polling in ADA
@ 1995-03-10 22:34 ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 1995-03-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew S Low (mlow@galaxy.csc.calpoly.edu) wrote:

: I'm sorry, in my last posting for keyboard polling in Ada I forgot to
: mention that I am attempting to do this using BSD UNIX. I was also asked
: whether I was trying to "do something" while the program looped waiting for
: a keystroke, and the answer is yes. I'm beginning to look into the areas of
: interrupts and forking tasks in ADA. Any help or suggestions would be
: greatly appreciated.

There are at least 3 ways I can think of:

1. Use a pragma Convention(...) and call the operating system, presuming
   that the OS provides a way to poll the keyboard.
   This is usually easy.
2. Use Ada 95, which has a way to poll the keyboard in Text_IO.
3. Use Ada tasks to implement this.
   For an example, see the "PDI" example at:
        http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Examples/PDI/

This sort of stuff depends on the Ada implementation & OS interface.

--- David A. Wheeler
Net address: wheeler@ida.org

* Re: keyboard polling in ADA
@ 1995-03-12  3:32   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-12  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Wheeler said

"1. Use a pragma Convention(...) and call the operating system, presuming
   that the OS provides a way to poll the keyboard.
   This is usually easy."

He meant pragma Import, pragma Convention won't get you very far in calling
an operating system service routine!