From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
Subject: Re: Programming language popularity ranking
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:36:09 +0100
Date: 2005-02-07T21:36:09+01:00	[thread overview]

Manuel G. R. wrote:

> Please, check this language popularity ranking:
> http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/tekst.htm
>
> Of course, I know this kind of rankings are not vey credible.

Well this one counts "Ada programming" on google - fairly easy to cheat. As
soon as I found out about that ranking I made shure that all
Programming:Ada pages on wikibooks have that text now ;-).

And there are 97 right now
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Category:Ada_programming_language).

For you spanish wikibook it is of corse more difficult to add the english
text "Ada programming".

> Ada is in position 19. I don't know if it is close to reality, but I
> suspect about those five red down arrows. Do you see that shrinking in
> Ada popularity, or should we disregard the ranking?

We lost 5 positions - over a year - and that is indeed bad. When I did a
"Ada tutorial" research for
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Tutorials I noticed that a lot
of tutorials have become off line which might account for the change.

> Are there other rankings to compare?

Would be interesting to know.

Martin
--