From: robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Conversion of Access Types Question
Date: 1999/01/28
Date: 1999-01-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <78od69$b4t$1@plug.news.pipex.net>,
  "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Matthew Heaney wrote ...
> |But, are there any
> |compilers that actually do have a different
> |representation?
>
> Mine (ThoughtWing Ada, out not soon I'm afraid), when
> targetting Intel 386 etc. It uses 32-bit offset for
> pool-specific access types, and 48-bit segment+offset for
> general access types.

It's a natural enough idea if you actually want to fiddle
with the junk segment stuff on the ia32, but I think you
will find in practice that it causes a lot of problems to
make this choice, i.e. it will break a lot of assumptions
in existing code. As a compiler writer, you can of course
appeal to the standard, but if you actually want people to
use your compiler, you have to pay attention to how people
write code as well :-)