* Input/Output in Ada
@ 1999-01-27  0:00 Igor Izvarin
From: Igor Izvarin @ 1999-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

My question looks very simple: Ada has several Input/Output packages -
DIRECT_IO, TEXT_IO, FLOAT_IO, MODULAR_IO, INTEGER_IO, FIXED_IO, DECIMAL_IO,
EMERATION_IO, COMPLEX_IO, SEQUENTIAL_IO, STORAGE_IO, STREAM_IO (all???).
Where I can find GOOD explanation about all these packages and when and how
to use them?

With best regards,
Igor Izvarin

* Re: Input/Output in Ada
@ 1999-01-28  0:00 ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <78nvaq$kns$1@scelto.ts.kiev.ua>,
  "Igor Izvarin" <izvarin@microsoft.ru.kiev.ua> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My question looks very simple: Ada has several
> Input/Output packages - DIRECT_IO, TEXT_IO, FLOAT_IO,
> MODULAR_IO, INTEGER_IO, FIXED_IO, DECIMAL_IO,
> EMERATION_IO, COMPLEX_IO, SEQUENTIAL_IO, STORAGE_IO,
> STREAM_IO (all???).

> Where I can find GOOD explanation about all these
> packages and when and how
> to use them?

Although the RM is definitely NOT in general the best place
to learn about how to use basic parts of the Ada language,
in the case of Annex A library functions, we have a
definite exception. The descriptions in Annex A of the RM
are easy to read, and undoubtedly the best source of
information on how these routines work.

* Re: Input/Output in Ada
@ 1999-01-28  0:00 ` BSCrawford
From: BSCrawford @ 1999-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<izvarin@microsoft.ru.kiev.ua> writes:

>My question looks very simple: Ada has several Input/Output packages -
>DIRECT_IO, TEXT_IO, FLOAT_IO, MODULAR_IO, INTEGER_IO, FIXED_IO, DECIMAL_IO,
>EMERATION_IO, COMPLEX_IO, SEQUENTIAL_IO, STORAGE_IO, STREAM_IO (all???).
>Where I can find GOOD explanation about all these packages and when and how
>to use them?

Chapter 16, "Predefined Input and Output," of Cohen's text, "Ada as
a Second Language," is more than 50 pages long and should prove
very helpful.

Bard Crawford
Stage Harbor Software