From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: ACT ANNOUNCES: GNAT 3.11p now available!
Date: 1999/01/28
Date: 1999-01-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <877lu8u6q5.fsf@zaphod.enst.fr>,
  Samuel Tardieu <sam@ada.eu.org> wrote:
> Note that users of Debian GNU/Linux systems can get GLADE
> as a binary package :-) Just as GNAT 3.11p, GLADE 3.11p
> for Debian GNU/Linux is available on
> http://www.inf.enst.fr/~tardieu/gnat/ and will be part of
> the Debian 2.2 release.

and note importantly that this is something that happened
without any official work by ACT, or any professional
programmers at ACT spending time on it. The open source
software community is a powerful force for providing useful
capabilities that might not otherwise appear (either
because vendors simply do not have the resources, or there
are no paying customers in sight).

We at ACT are delighted to see this kind of development.
The Linux community is one of particularly lively vitality,
and it is a bit surprising to me that there is only one Ada
95 compiler for Linux (GNAT). Still if there is going to be
only one, it is certainly appropriate that it be part of
the GNU tradition and tools that made Linux possible.

What is quite encouraging to us is to see that, in addition
to the open source software community showing some interest
and enthusiasm for GNAT, the Linux version of GNAT is also
being quite successful commercially. We have a number of
customers paying for commercial support in situations where
they are using Linux for serious projects.

GNU + Linux + GNAT

A *very* attractive combination for a wide range of
programming :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies