From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: Gnat 3.11 whinings
Date: 1999/01/28
Date: 1999-01-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <78n93n$rn$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> OK. I've reposted the message there (I think).

Just to be absolutely clear, discussions about problems
are fine on chat@gnat.com. But bug reports ONLY come to
the attention of ACT if they are sent to report@gnat.com.
So if are not sure if something is a bug and needs
discussion, then it is fine to discuss it on CLA or
chat (I am a bit surprised that T.E.D. thinks the
site.el problem he saw is in this category).

If you think something is a bug, report it as a bug
to report@gnat.com. So far we have received no reports
from T.E.D for example of problems, so as far as the
ACT radar is concerned, no problems have been reported
by him.

Actually the site-el problem is already reported, by us,
to ourselves, with an internal tracking number. it is
something we noticed during the shake down period, but
decided was not serious enough to cause what would have
been a significant (e.g. one month) additional delay
in the release, so that one at least is reported and
will be fixed in the 3.12 release.

But I have a vague memory of T.E.D reporting other
concerns, I can't remember if they were bugs or not,
but for sure they will not be looked at if they do
not come in to report@gnat.com.

This policy may seem a bit arbitrary (draconian :-) but
it is really necessary for our report control mechanisms
to work smoothly and reliably.

We really appreciate those of you who HAVE taken the
trouble to send in useful input to report from the first
release of 3.11p. Obviously the first few days can smoke
out quite a bit. So far, nothing too serious has turned up,
but quite a few little things have been reported and
already fixed.

I know it can be a bit frustrating at times that we do
not have the resources to correspond with you about
problems you submit in this way, but please be assured we
do eventually look at all problems submitted, and if you
take the time to send properly formatted clear bug reports
to report@gnat.com, you are helping everyone improve GNAT
in the long run.

Thanks again to those who have contributed in this and
other ways to the GNAT project.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies