From: joel@OARcorp.com
Subject: Re: Making ADA More Popular
Date: 1999/01/27
Date: 1999-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <OuXOQsbS#GA.281@nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>,
  "Michael Garrett" <michaelgarrett@csi.com> wrote:

> Take an inexpensive processor which has a gnu / cygnus compiler port and its
> evaluation board
> and provide gnat with a runtime environment (RTEMS ADA?) for a decent price,
> around 200.00 US.
>
> This would provide an ADA  real-time programming environment that students
> could access and actually design, and code on. ( I am not a student, and
> would be first in line! )
>
> One such board is the hitachi SH1 evaluation kit. For 99.00 it includes a
> decent amount of peripherals, and the cygnus toolchain. I'm not sure if
> RTEMS is ported to the SH1.

RTEMS has been ported to the SH1.  This port is new in 4.0.

> A power PC eval board is probably available also.

A number of these exist.  I recall that IBM has some for the 4xx series.
I would expect that there are ones available for the Motorola 8xx series.

Don't forget that Motorola also has Coldfire eval boards that would likely
be suitable as a student target.

And remember that a PC can be treated as an embedded target.  You can
go so far as cross develop on a UNIX box and debug on it remotely.
This would likely be a good option for many university labs.

> In many companies, it is these evaluation kits which gain the loyalty of
> energetic and inspired individuals. This loyalty gets parts designed in. It
> could also get languages designed in.
>
> I can guarantee that in a years time, Java will be available in this format.
> ADA should be there too.
>
> If Aonix is listening, how about an evaluation Raven kit for a processor
> Eval Board? I understand the financial pain of reading this, but the more
> ADA users there are, we all win.

If someone is interested in sponsoring the development of such a kit using
GNAT/RTEMS, feel free to contact Mark Johannes (mark@OARcorp.com).  We would
certainly like to see this option available to educators.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985