From: kna@nospam.com
Subject: Re: how to make Ada more popular?
Date: 1999/01/27
Date: 1999-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

One way to make it easier to develop applications in GNAT would be
to bundle with the distrubtion as many bindings as possible.

The main problem I see now with using Ada/Gnat for real world commerical
application is lack of bindings to external systems.

Looking at adahome binding page, shows me some links to bindings which some
of them seem old (one even was last updated 3 years ago, and still talks
about NT 3.5 as the current windows NT system!) , some are supported on
limited platforms only, and require too much work to install, configure,
build on the current platform, and one gets the feeling they are
downloading something they have no idea in what state it is in and
who is supporting it and if there is something more recent than it
somewhere else.

compare this situation with Java for example, where one can go to one
site (Sun javasoft) and download the JDK, which is big and contains many
packages needed to do almost anything. or go to IBM alphaworks(?) site
and download tons of Java packages for free.

In C/C++ offcourse, one needs no such bindings becuase the most of the
world out there seem to be writen in C, and so interfacing to it from C/C++
applications is no issue and the C/C++ libraries and header files come with
the OS as a default.

I read somewhere that some folks are planning to package into an RPM package
GNAT with GLADE and some other packages that does not now come with
GNAT proper now.  This is great news, and this is the sort of thing needed
more to help Ada become more used.

The main bindings I see needed to be packaged are: binding to Unix system
services (so one can do system programming in Ada), TPC/IP binding,
Motif, ODBC, Win32 binding, GLADE, etc..

without such packages readily avaliable in one self contained system, that
one can depend on being there and updated with each release, Ada will remain
a nice well defined langauge, and nice compilers, but very little used in
real world commerical applications.

Kna