From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: Gnat 3.11 whinings
Date: 1999/01/27
Date: 1999-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1999Jan26.163956.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> In article <78l2qq$845$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dennison@telepath.com writes:
>
> > To make matters worse, we have the site-lisp directory installed on a
> > shared drive with everyone's emacs configuration pointing to it. So now
> > whenever any developer decides to install gnat...wham! There goes our
> > site-start again.
>
> That sounds like a good argument for file protection (and developers not
> running with privileges enabled by default).

As has been hinted at in a previous thread, we aren't really into draconian
measures around here. I may technicly be the "owner" of the site-start.el
file, but developers here are allowed (and *encouraged*) to put items of
their own creation in the site-start if they will be of general use (a rather
important "if"). It would seriously violate our team spirit, plus create more
work for me, if I were to start acting as "emperor" of the group
configuration files.

In a larger group this setup would probably be a nightmare. But we only have
about 8 developers who all sit within earshot of each other, and it seems to
work well for us. For instance, one developer created an elisp routine to
convert UML specifications into Ada package specs...

T.E.D.