* GNAT 3.11p and AdaGIDE
@ 1999-01-27  0:00 robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wanted to mention that GNAT 3.11p includes
the newest version of AdaGIDE NT. We have worked
with Martin Carlisle to enable the inclusion of
some very nice new features, including the ability
to go to a declaration from the use, and warnings for
unused items (e.g. unnecessary with's, unused variables
etc, via the -gnatwu switch), and Martin has added many
other useful improvements and features.

I would like to thank Martin on behalf of Ada Core
Technologies for the hard work he has invested in making
AdaGIDE an important contribution to the GNAT technology.
It is interesting to note that although AdaGIDE was
originally conceived as a student interface, we have found
a number of "industrial strength" customers choosing to use
this interface for their development, and a generation of
Ada students has found this to be a friendly and usable
interface to introduce the use of the Ada 95 language.

The following are some specific comments from Martin on
the latest version of AdaGIDE

> Since GNAT's install shield adds all the registry entries
> for AdaGIDE, I am no longer keeping an install shield at
> my ftp site.  I will, however, keep a copy of adagide.exe
> and the sources available through the AdaGIDE home page:

> http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html.

> Also in the works is a port of AdaGIDE to the JVM using
> the GNAT to JVM technology.  We expect to have our first
> release within a year.

> As always, send me comments/bug reports to
> mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil -- I don't have time to implement all
> suggestions, but many you've sent have helped to improve
> the product.  Higher priority is given to suggestions
> from academic users.  To the best of my recollection, all
> repeatable bug reports have been resolved within 24 hours
> of my reading them (from any source).

> --Martin

AdaGIDE helps to ensure that GNAT meets one of the original
goals of the GNAT project, which was to provide an
easy-to-use interface to beginning Ada students.

We continue to hold this as one of our important goals, and
appreciate the work that Martin does to help achieve this
goal.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

only message in thread, other threads:[~1999-01-27  0:00 UTC | newest]