From: bill_1@nospam.com
Subject: Re: how to make Ada more popular?
Date: 1999/01/25
Date: 1999-01-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <78hoiq$q5b$1@remarQ.com>, "news.oxy.com" says...

>MS-Windows NT is now dominant desktop operating system on the enterprise
>level (other people may think the other way - let's no discuss this further
>at this forum) so everyone who will ignore that fact can lose the game.

sorry, I can't help but comment on this.

MS windows is popular on the desktop today, but in few short years this can
not be the case. last year Linux server market grew %212. more than NT. and
if the desktop does the same in few years, the whole picture will change.

Oracle, informix, sybase are moving to Linux support.
KDE, GNOME are making great progress.
many commerical applications that existed only on windows can be now
found on the free Unix platform.

so, targeting the GNU/Linux platform for development of GNAT applications
can be as important if one want to look ahead to the future. so, one will
not lose as you conclude by ignoring the MS market.

I've developed on both Unix and Windows. and I'd rather develop on
top of a SOLID platform. NT is a falky platform and a pain to develop on.
I have no idea how any one can enjoy developing on such a system.

>There are a lot of people who do not like Microsoft for many different
>reasons and trying to ignore that phenomena but not to do thing for Windows
>NT as a result of such dislike is just unwise.

developers dislike MS because the windows platform is too flaky and not
solid. Asking a developer to ignore their dislike of the platform and
still develop on it will not work.

>Programming under Windows is not just popular (I mean that it should not be
>considered as some kind of hobby and thus to be ignored). It is a
>corporate/enterprise IS market demand.

MacDoland and burgerKing are popular.
as a programmer, I want a quality platform to develop on. many programmers
I know would rather quit work than having to use Windows bloated tools
and shaky environment.

> I  state  this as a corporate MIS
>department staff member.

why not consider the Unix platform for your devlopment? it is higher quality,
richer devolpment tools, higher performance less cost. There is nothing
that forces you to use VB or VC++.

Bill.