From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: Assembler in Ada?
Date: 1999/01/24
Date: 1999-01-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <78a32f$dbr$1@remarQ.com>,
  "news.oxy.com" <Vladimir_Olensky@oxy.com> wrote:
> If you open GNAT ref. Manual at the Machine Code
> Insertion you will find that just from the second
> paragraph ACT suggest you to go far away - to the
> "Using and Porting GNU CC" which is not included in the
> documentation that
> comes with GNAT. "Happy" GNAT users! (especially new
> ones). They want to
> know how to use Assembler with GNAT but they are
> suggested to learn how to
> use and port GCC. Moreover they are even directed where
> to find this manual.

We definitely try NOT to duplicate documentation of this
type that is available in the gcc manual. There are for
example dozens of switches described in the gcc manual that
are of course relevant for GNAT, but we do not duplicate
the description in the GNAT manual.

The only time we duplicate information in the GCC manual
(which serious GNAT users should have a copy of) is for
commonly used features. We do not consider assembly
language insertions to be in this category.

In addition, this feature in GNAT is powerful but you
really need to understand quite a bit about it to use it
on a given machine, and the understanding comes from the
gcc manual.

And yes, to use GNAT at this level, you definitely need to
learn how to use gcc (though not necessarily to port it!)

It would be possible to give more examples, but they would
probably not be as illuminating as you think, because they
would give a very limited view of what is in fact a very
powerful facility.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies