From: khrabrov@unagi.cis.upenn.edu (Alexy Khrabrov)
Subject: Re: Ada book help
Date: 1999/01/23
Date: 1999-01-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I've just got a new Ada textbook, for pushing into
our UPenn curriculum,

    Ada for Software Engineers, M. Ben-Ari,
    (Technion, Israel)
    Addison-Wesley Longman, 1998.

It has Tucker Taft's endorsement that it's "one of
the best", which is what cautious people normally
say when they want to say just "the best".

As in dealings with Iraq, Israel here again
outpaces US.

The book maintains European width of view and
solid philosophical foundation of software
engineering, which too many US books forsake
while chasing hype of OO parlance.

Aside, there's nothing useful in calling functions
"methods", and variables "members" or even
"private members".  For that matter, Fortran's
SUBROUTINE still pleases my eye more than cold and
impersonal "procedure".  I don't believe in
OO/Windoze parlance waves.  They will all
disappear, while SUBROUTINE will still be in use.
Say with me: OO/ShmOO.  ActiveX/ShmActiveX.
CORBA/ShmORBA.  DCOM/DshmOM.  Java/ShmAVA.
Microsoft/ShMicroshmoft.  :-)

This Ada book keeps the eyes on the prize of solid
software engineering whilke avoiding useless
terminological debris.  AWL once again proves
itself as a great publisher of computer books.
No coincidence they acquired Longman, the
publisher of the best English dictionary, the
first one circularly checked with a computer as
early as in 1979...

Cheers,
Alexy