From: robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Choose Ada flyer
Date: 1999/01/21
Date: 1999-01-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <F5vwpK.BF@jvdsys.stuyts.nl>,
  jerry@jvdsys.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk) wrote:
> : Of course NT is NOT a relevant platform here, since it
> : is not POSIX compliant. Yes, you could implement some
> : subset of POSIX in this environment, and even by
> : fiddling, most of it, but it is not clear that this is
> : really worth while if all you want is specific features
> : (I must say I was
> : unaware of the POSIX standard including record locking,
> : but there is a lot of stuff there :-)
>
> I understand the 'POSIX subsystem' will be gone from NT
> 5.0 (or by whatever name). Not that anyone ever took it
> seriously.

Some clarifications are in order here. First of all, as
many people do, I was using NT in my original message to
talk about the Win32 subsystem. The POSIX subsystem has
never been a serious part of NT.

However, VERY IMPORTANT, the POSIX subsystem is alive and
well in another form entirely, namely INTERIX, which is
a complete implementation of Unix as an NT subsystem.
This is an effort supported by Microsoft, and it allows
easy porting of Unix applications to an NT environment.
It is of course also completely POSIX compliant, so if
your view of NT allows the use of subsystems other than
Win32, the situation is much more pleasant. For example,
there is a port of GNAT for INTERIX, and we expect to be
able to move Florist, our POSIX binding to this port with
little effort (maybe it has been done already, I am not
sure).