From: "Paul Hussein" <paul.hussein@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: VADS on IRIX 6.5
Date: 1999/01/20
Date: 1999-01-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Glenn A. Diehl <gadiehl@hti.com> wrote in message
36A3934B.71F38C47@hti.com...
>Hello...
>I am trying to use Rational VADS 623.53.7 on an SGI Origin 2000 running
>IRIX 6.5, and
>some run time problems have come up that can best be described as
>"flaky" (one in
>particular is that the program vectors off into unrelated code after
>trying to read a file).
>
>The software compiles and runs fine under IRIX 6.2.
>
>Has anyone else tried this combination with any success?
>
>Thanks.

I would not advise using VADS on IRIX 6.5, especially on an origin.
VADS in unsupported on 6.5. It only generates o32 code ( see man pages on
`abi` ) where you should be using n32 or event 64 bit code generation. Also,
it is only Ada 83.

Also if you stick with VADS under 6.3/4/5, you will not get any fixes as
they are dicontinuing VADs in favour of APEX.

Either pick up SGI Gnat 1.3 ( which is really quite cheap ), or ACT Gnat
 www.gnat.com ). I'm currently using both on all manner of SGI's, very
successfully,after moving from VADS.