* Installation of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2014-10-06 20:37 brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2014-10-06 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe I am reasonably close to having a successful installation
of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux.  I have prepared "A Cautious Guide
to Installing AdaCore GNAT GPL on a Ubuntu Linux System" that takes up
about 30 pages of very detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to do
that.  The document is a pdf file.  I'm not sure how to make it available
through this interface.  I do not have my own web site, so I can't just
provide a URL.  I also need to check on making sure that the Debian package
libc6-dev is installed.  Except for that, I think things are in order,
although there's enough software in the downloadable package to make
assurance of correctness difficult to check.  If I haven't made an error,
it even looks like I've got the gps to work along with the other stuff.

Bruce R. Barkstrom

* Re: Installation of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2014-10-06 21:01 ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-06 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:37:38 -0700, brbarkstrom wrote:

> I believe I am reasonably close to having a successful installation of
> AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux.  I have prepared "A Cautious Guide to
> Installing AdaCore GNAT GPL on a Ubuntu Linux System" that takes up
> about 30 pages of very detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to do
> that.  The document is a pdf file.  I'm not sure how to make it
> available through this interface.  I do not have my own web site, so I
> can't just provide a URL.  I also need to check on making sure that the
> Debian package libc6-dev is installed.  Except for that, I think things
> are in order, although there's enough software in the downloadable
> package to make assurance of correctness difficult to check.  If I
> haven't made an error, it even looks like I've got the gps to work along
> with the other stuff.
>
> Bruce R. Barkstrom

Hi Bruce,

If you send the pdf to my email address I will post a link in this thread
allowing anyone to download it.

I managed to get GPS to work, but not with graphics (gtkada, gtk). I can
test your instructions for you......

Phil

* Re: Installation of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2014-10-06 23:18   ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2014-10-06 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, October 6, 2014 5:01:54 PM UTC-4, Phil wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:37:38 -0700, brbarkstrom wrote:
>

> > I believe I am reasonably close to having a successful installation of
>
> > AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux.  I have prepared "A Cautious Guide to
>
> > Installing AdaCore GNAT GPL on a Ubuntu Linux System" that takes up
>
> > about 30 pages of very detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to do
>
> > that.  The document is a pdf file.  I'm not sure how to make it
>
> > available through this interface.  I do not have my own web site, so I
>
> > can't just provide a URL.  I also need to check on making sure that the
>
> > Debian package libc6-dev is installed.  Except for that, I think things
>
> > are in order, although there's enough software in the downloadable
>
> > package to make assurance of correctness difficult to check.  If I
>
> > haven't made an error, it even looks like I've got the gps to work along
>
> > with the other stuff.
>

> > Bruce R. Barkstrom
>

> Hi Bruce,
>

> If you send the pdf to my email address I will post a link in this thread
>
> allowing anyone to download it.
>

> I managed to get GPS to work, but not with graphics (gtkada, gtk). I can
>
> test your instructions for you......
>

> Phil

Can you send me your e-mail address.  Mine is brbarkstrom@gmail.com

* Re: Installation of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2014-10-08 15:44 ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2014-10-08 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, October 6, 2014 4:37:39 PM UTC-4, brbar...@gmail.com wrote:
> I believe I am reasonably close to having a successful installation
>
> of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux.  I have prepared "A Cautious Guide
>
> to Installing AdaCore GNAT GPL on a Ubuntu Linux System" that takes up
>
> about 30 pages of very detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to do
>
> that.  The document is a pdf file.  I'm not sure how to make it available
>
> through this interface.  I do not have my own web site, so I can't just
>
> provide a URL.  I also need to check on making sure that the Debian package
>
> libc6-dev is installed.  Except for that, I think things are in order,
>
> although there's enough software in the downloadable package to make
>
> assurance of correctness difficult to check.  If I haven't made an error,
>
> it even looks like I've got the gps to work along with the other stuff.
>

> Bruce R. Barkstrom

Phil Webb was kind enough to provide a URL where the current version of
my documentation can be obtained

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/GNAT-Installation%20v1.5.pdf

He cautions that the URL is not a permanent archival location, so it may
disappear at some point in the future.

I should also note that my primary interest in getting a working copy of
the AdaCore GNAT GPL and GPS onto Linux is as a technical backup to avoid
loss of material for projects I'm working on using a Windows XP machine.
I've used Ada for long enough that I've got a fair sized library of Ada
code I've developed - mostly for numerical calculations.  As far as that
goes, I want to be able to use that plus new Ada code I design, write,
compile, and link myself.  The GPS is critical to my productivity.  I don't
have a desire to keep up with changes in the gcc and related software
on a more frequent basis than once a year (or even longer).  As far as I can
tell, the AdaCore releases that use the gcc are likely to be nearly free
of numerical errors that I need worry about.

If the software you want to work on is intended for a different purpose and
needs to deal with multiple languages or different platforms, the
Debian packages may be the most suitable choice for you.  For that matter,
maybe you'd want Fedora or even SeLinux.  I'm not in charge of dictating
what you do.  If my documentation helps you, great.  If it doesn't, I'm
not creating required reading.

Bruce B.

* Re: Installation of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2016-02-27 16:29   ` wsf.fletcher
From: wsf.fletcher @ 2016-02-27 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to write an installation guide. The instructions help resolved a path issue with my system and enabled me to use the current AdaCore versions.

* Re: Installation of AdaCore GNAT GPL on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2016-03-05 13:22     ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2016-03-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're welcome.  I've gotten to the point where I have to write stuff down
to remember it a month later.  Glad to know it helped someone else.

Bruce B.