* VADS on IRIX 6.5
@ 1999-01-18  0:00 Glenn A. Diehl
From: Glenn A. Diehl @ 1999-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello...
I am trying to use Rational VADS 623.53.7 on an SGI Origin 2000 running
IRIX 6.5, and
some run time problems have come up that can best be described as
"flaky" (one in
particular is that the program vectors off into unrelated code after
trying to read a file).

The software compiles and runs fine under IRIX 6.2.

Has anyone else tried this combination with any success?

Thanks.

* Re: VADS on IRIX 6.5
@ 1999-01-18  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn A. Diehl wrote in message <36A3934B.71F38C47@hti.com>...
>Hello...
>I am trying to use Rational VADS 623.53.7 on an SGI Origin 2000 running
>IRIX 6.5, and
>some run time problems have come up that can best be described as
>"flaky" (one in
>particular is that the program vectors off into unrelated code after
>trying to read a file).
>
>The software compiles and runs fine under IRIX 6.2.

Yes.  It works just fine (but I'm not sure about the VADS version, though).
I no longer have access to a 6.5 machine, (having changed jobs) so I cannot
verify the version number.  You might want to check with the folks in Aloha,
Oregon to see whether you need a later one.  It's also possible you have
a problem relating to object type.  My recollection is that VADS was
only generating -o32 objects.

* Re: VADS on IRIX 6.5
@ 1999-01-20  0:00 ` Paul Hussein
From: Paul Hussein @ 1999-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn A. Diehl <gadiehl@hti.com> wrote in message
36A3934B.71F38C47@hti.com...
>Hello...
>I am trying to use Rational VADS 623.53.7 on an SGI Origin 2000 running
>IRIX 6.5, and
>some run time problems have come up that can best be described as
>"flaky" (one in
>particular is that the program vectors off into unrelated code after
>trying to read a file).
>
>The software compiles and runs fine under IRIX 6.2.
>
>Has anyone else tried this combination with any success?
>
>Thanks.

I would not advise using VADS on IRIX 6.5, especially on an origin.
VADS in unsupported on 6.5. It only generates o32 code ( see man pages on
`abi` ) where you should be using n32 or event 64 bit code generation. Also,
it is only Ada 83.

Also if you stick with VADS under 6.3/4/5, you will not get any fixes as
they are dicontinuing VADs in favour of APEX.

Either pick up SGI Gnat 1.3 ( which is really quite cheap ), or ACT Gnat
 www.gnat.com ). I'm currently using both on all manner of SGI's, very
successfully,after moving from VADS.

* Re: VADS on IRIX 6.5
@ 1999-01-20  0:00   ` Corey Ashford
From: Corey Ashford @ 1999-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:

> Glenn A. Diehl wrote in message <36A3934B.71F38C47@hti.com>...
> >Hello...
> >I am trying to use Rational VADS 623.53.7 on an SGI Origin 2000 running
> >IRIX 6.5, and
> >some run time problems have come up that can best be described as
> >"flaky" (one in
> >particular is that the program vectors off into unrelated code after
> >trying to read a file).
> >
> >The software compiles and runs fine under IRIX 6.2.
> >
> Yes.  It works just fine (but I'm not sure about the VADS version, though).
> I no longer have access to a 6.5 machine, (having changed jobs) so I cannot
> verify the version number.  You might want to check with the folks in Aloha,
> Oregon to see whether you need a later one.  It's also possible you have
> a problem relating to object type.  My recollection is that VADS was
> only generating -o32 objects.

Correct.

VADS is not supported on IRIX 6.3 and beyond.  Rational Apex is, however.
Apex 3.0.0b produces -n32 objects (supports 64-bit integers).