From: mgk25@cl.cam.ac.uk (Markus Kuhn)
Subject: Re: Status of GNAT 3.11p
Date: 1999/01/14
Date: 1999-01-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <m3iuebji2a.fsf@fred.muc.de>, Andi Kleen <ak-uu@muc.de> writes:
|> > I believe that Ada95 is tremendously underhyped.
|> And I think gnat 3.11p is overhyped. Where is it?

I have it already installed for Linux as a final beta tester
and it works very nice. The 3.11p Linux version seems to have
been ready for a long time but for some reason ACT do not want
to publish it before they have completed the NT version.

I had to promise not to pass on my beta version, so don't ask me
for it, but may be ACT can be convinced to do a short public beta
test for the 3.11p Linux version until they have fixed their NT
problems. It seems their main concern is a proliferation of too
many different 3.11p versions that could result of a public beta
test. I never understood this concern, because it is trivial
to just call them gnat-3.11p-beta-990114.tar.gz or something
like that for the beta test version of the day. Should be no
problem if they use a decent revision control concept.
Beta testers by definition do not mind anyway to install a
new revision every morning.

Markus