* Gnat and CygWin
@ 2000-12-13  9:11 Brian Orpin
From: Brian Orpin @ 2000-12-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have Gnat and CygWin installed on my NT machine.

Gnat works fine from the Dos prompt but not from the Bash shell.

My suspicion is that they are picking up different GCC libs.

I installed Gnat first then CygWin.

Is it possible to get the 2 to co-exist and inter-operate?

--
Brian Orpin    BAE SYSTEMS, Edinburgh
"If you really know C++, there isn't much you can't do with it, though it may

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
@ 2000-12-13 12:24 ` Jeff Creem
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-12-13 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

The short answer is yes (I think). I have done this with a prior version of
GNAT (3.12) via changing
the paths in bash and setting environment variables such as gcc_exec_prefix.
I have not tried it with the
latest GNAT and cygwin. Unless someone else posts a setup I'll grab my old
script (once I get to the
machine that has it!) and post it as a starting point.

"Brian Orpin" <abuse@borpin.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have Gnat and CygWin installed on my NT machine.
>
> Gnat works fine from the Dos prompt but not from the Bash shell.
>
> My suspicion is that they are picking up different GCC libs.
>
> I installed Gnat first then CygWin.
>
> Is it possible to get the 2 to co-exist and inter-operate?
>
> --
> Brian Orpin    BAE SYSTEMS, Edinburgh
> "If you really know C++, there isn't much you can't do with it, though it
may
> not always be what you intended!"  Tucker Taft 1998

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
@ 2000-12-13 12:28 ` Michael Worsley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Worsley @ 2000-12-13 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Orpin <abuse@borpin.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have Gnat and CygWin installed on my NT machine.
>
> Gnat works fine from the Dos prompt but not from the Bash shell.
>
> My suspicion is that they are picking up different GCC libs.
>
> I installed Gnat first then CygWin.
>
> Is it possible to get the 2 to co-exist and inter-operate?

Quite possible, I use gnat on a regular basis from my bash shell.

The problem is that CygWin's gcc doesn't know about Ada  ("gcc.exe: language
ada not recognized" may be familiar).  The solution is to ensure that
gnat/bin or gnatpro/bin occurs before /bin in your path variable.

For example, my .bashrc contains the incantation "PATH=/c/gnatpro/bin:$PATH"
which does the trick.  Alternatively, editing cygwin.bat to say "SET
PATH=C:\gnatpro\bin;f:\bin;f:\usr\local\bin;%PATH%"  would do precisely the
same.

HTH

--
Michael Worsley
SPARK Development Team

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
@ 2000-12-13 14:36 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-12-13 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <t6fe3tc7gggpcoet6basooae1a44qk8u4b@4ax.com>,
  abuse@borpin.co.uk (Brian Orpin  This is valid) wrote:
> I have Gnat and CygWin installed on my NT machine.
>
> Gnat works fine from the Dos prompt but not from the Bash shell.

I do that on a couple of NT machines and a Win2k machine with no trouble.

> My suspicion is that they are picking up different GCC libs.
Or even different gcc's.

> I installed Gnat first then CygWin.
I did it the other way around.

> Is it possible to get the 2 to co-exist and inter-operate?

As long as you don't want to also use the cygwin gcc, it should work out
OK. You could probably even alternate between them using bash scripts.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-12-13 15:35 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-12-13 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:
> I installed Gnat first then CygWin.

We have found many problems in running Cygwin with
GNAT, and do not recommend this combination. Note
also that you need to check Cygwin licensing before
including it in non-Free Software programs (unlike
the GNAT run-time, at least some versions of Cygwin
are distributed under the unmodified GPL, and you
need the proprietary version if you are going to
use this in proprietary programs).

We do not use Cygwin to build GNAT, instead we use
Mingwin (i think that is the spelling ...)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
@ 2000-12-13 15:56   ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-12-13 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert Dewar" <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In article
> <t6fe3tc7gggpcoet6basooae1a44qk8u4b@4ax.com>,
>   abuse@borpin.co.uk (Brian Orpin  This is valid)
> wrote:
> > I installed Gnat first then CygWin.
>
> We have found many problems in running Cygwin with
> GNAT, and do not recommend this combination. Note
> also that you need to check Cygwin licensing before
> including it in non-Free Software programs (unlike
> the GNAT run-time, at least some versions of Cygwin
> are distributed under the unmodified GPL, and you
> need the proprietary version if you are going to
> use this in proprietary programs).
>
> We do not use Cygwin to build GNAT, instead we use
> Mingwin (i think that is the spelling ...)
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Of course if you are not trying to build GNAT so that it creates cygwin
programs but rather are just
using the cygwin environment to call GNAT I do not think you run into any
license issues (as long as
you are careful about your linking).

As to the stability of GNAT when used in this way...I'll defer to Robert on
that issue.

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-12-13 16:05 ` Pascal Sartoretti
From: Pascal Sartoretti @ 2000-12-13 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brian Orpin" <abuse@borpin.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have Gnat and CygWin installed on my NT machine.
> Is it possible to get the 2 to co-exist and inter-operate?

Yes it is, it works fine for me. I didn't do anything special, I just
installed both
and it worked. It was with Cygwin b20 and an old GNAT (3.12?).

Pascal

* Re: Gnat and CygWin
@ 2000-12-13 19:28     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-12-13 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <t3f70bfd9to44e@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Jeff Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote:
> Of course if you are not trying to build GNAT so
that it creates cygwin
> programs but rather are just
> using the cygwin environment to call GNAT I do not
think you run into any
> license issues (as long as
> you are careful about your linking).

yes, of course, the cygwin tools can be used without
licensing concerns.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/