From: dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter)
Subject: Re: Ada/UNIX(tm) and the NAME function
Date: 30 Dec 88 22:08:25 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <34974@think.UUCP> barmar@kulla.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
 > In article <8812281638.AA00722@aries> emery@mitre.org writes:
 > >...  If the pathname isn't absolute, call Unix.getcwd, ...
 > >Note that there is NO requirement to walk the directory chain.
 >
 > How do you think Unix.getcwd works?  Most Unix implementations don't
 > remember the character string used to set the working directory.
 > Getcwd() walks the directory tree.

And note also that getwd (in C terms, getcwd is Fortran I believe) may fail.
It will do so if the parent directory of one of the directories has
execute permission only, no read permission.  In that case a file may
be opened, but it is not possible to get an absolute path name.
INTERNET   : dik@cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik@mcvax