From: robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Elaborate compile-time error messages (was: GNAT Stream Read ...)
Date: 1999/01/10
Date: 1999-01-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1999Jan7.081644.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> Saying that the source quotation is not part of the error
> message seems a bit pedantic, perhaps due to specialized
> meanings within the ACT shop.
>
> At any rate, the idea that GNAT defaults to presuming a
> tightly coupled editor makes a lot of sense, as that is
> the environment recommended to those who have no reason
> to choose otherwise.
>
> Larry Kilgallen

Well I guess the "specialized meaning" that we give to
"error message" in the ACT shop is that it is a message
telling you what error you have, and right, the source
line is most certainly NOT an error message in this
specialized sense :-)

As for tightly coupled editors, lots of people prefer
brief error messages even if they do not use such an
editor. Certainly my own taste is that the line number
is almost always sufficient (and of course the GNAT
error messages do give column number as well).

Anyway, if you do prefer the more verbose errors message
listings, which include the source line in error and the
error flag, then by all means use -gnatv!