* Using GtkAda in Ubuntu
@ 2008-09-11 19:55 Joe
From: Joe @ 2008-09-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey all,

I'm having some trouble getting GtkAda setup on my computer.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, gtkAda 2.12 and gnat 4.3.1.

Compiling the simple window example results in this:

simple.adb:1:06: file "gtk.ads" not found
gnatmake: "simple.adb" compilation error

I have installed all the libgtkada's, and gnat-glade installed.

I think it has to do with the gtkada2-config script. I think the paths
that the script looks for are different than what I have. On my system
I don't have /usr/lib/gtkada or /usr/include/gtkada. The path for
gtkada seems to be /usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2 and /usr/share/ada/
adainclude/gtkada2

I changed the libdir and includedir script variables to the locations
on my computer and compiling mostly worked until I got this:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
gnatmake: *** link failed.

Any help would be appreciated.  Also, is there someway to put the
many .ali and .o files somewhere else.

* Re: Using GtkAda in Ubuntu
@ 2008-09-11 20:39 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-09-11 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe writes:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm having some trouble getting GtkAda setup on my computer.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, gtkAda 2.12 and gnat 4.3.1.
>
> Compiling the simple window example results in this:
>
> simple.adb:1:06: file "gtk.ads" not found
> gnatmake: "simple.adb" compilation error

How did you set up your source files and how did you invoke gnatmake?

> I have installed all the libgtkada's, and gnat-glade installed.
>
> I think it has to do with the gtkada2-config script. I think the paths
> that the script looks for are different than what I have. On my system
> I don't have /usr/lib/gtkada or /usr/include/gtkada. The path for
> gtkada seems to be /usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2 and /usr/share/ada/
> adainclude/gtkada2
>
> I changed the libdir and includedir script variables to the locations
> on my computer and compiling mostly worked until I got this:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
> gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Also, is there someway to put the
> many .ali and .o files somewhere else.

Yes, read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian and
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr.

The problem with gtkada2-config is known as
http://bugs.debian.org/497407

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Using GtkAda in Ubuntu
@ 2008-09-11 21:22   ` Joe
From: Joe @ 2008-09-11 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 4:39 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Joe writes:
> > Hey all,
>
> > I'm having some trouble getting GtkAda setup on my computer.
>
> > I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, gtkAda 2.12 and gnat 4.3.1.
>
> > Compiling the simple window example results in this:
>
> > simple.adb:1:06: file "gtk.ads" not found
> > gnatmake: "simple.adb" compilation error
>
> How did you set up your source files and how did you invoke gnatmake?
>

> > I have installed all the libgtkada's, and gnat-glade installed.
>
> > I think it has to do with the gtkada2-config script. I think the paths
> > that the script looks for are different than what I have. On my system
> > I don't have /usr/lib/gtkada or /usr/include/gtkada. The path for
> > gtkada seems to be /usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2 and /usr/share/ada/
> > adainclude/gtkada2
>
> > I changed the libdir and includedir script variables to the locations
> > on my computer and compiling mostly worked until I got this:
>
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
> > gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> > Any help would be appreciated.  Also, is there someway to put the
> > many .ali and .o files somewhere else.
>
> Yes, read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian and
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr.
>
> The problem with gtkada2-config is known ashttp://bugs.debian.org/497407
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Awesome, got it to work.  I set it up like so:

example.adb
example.gpr
gtkada2.gpr
obj

gnatmake -Pexample

Thanks a lot for the help.

* Re: Using GtkAda in Ubuntu
@ 2008-09-12  7:12     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-09-12  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe writes:
> Awesome, got it to work.  I set it up like so:
>
> example.adb
> example.gpr
> gtkada2.gpr
> obj
>
> gnatmake -Pexample

You should keep gtkada2.gpr where it belongs; no need to copy it into
your project.  Gnatmake is patched to look for project files in
/usr/share/ada/adainclude by default on Debian.

> Thanks a lot for the help.

You're welcome.

--
Ludovic Brenta.