From: "Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT Opinions
Date: 1998/12/24
Date: 1998-12-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Bob wrote in message <75rvnq$h75@dfw-ixnews10.ix.netcom.com>...

<snip>

>The two problems which we haven't been able to fix yet are not
>Ada questions. We want to migrate to INTEL but the little/big
endianess is a
>major problem with record representation definitions going over a
>communications circuit.

Since you mentioned it, endian-independent representation clauses
can be written (although they are not easy to read, but then, they
never require changes due to endianess).  Norm Cohen wrote about how
to do it in Ada Letters.  I have a free package to support it, with
a demo program, at my web site:

http://www.classwide.com/products/freecode.htm

An editor macro to help produce them is a good idea.

---
Pat Rogers                          Training & Development in:
http://www.classwide.com    Deadline Schedulability Analysis
progers@acm.org                 Software Fault Tolerance
(281)648-3165                       Real-Time/OO Languages