From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: gnat friendly Linux Distribution
Date: 1998/12/24
Date: 1998-12-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <75r2ja$ekv$1@nw001t.infi.net>,
  "Srinivasan, R" <gitas@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:
> Is there a particular Linux distribution to prefer (or to
> avoid) to host Ada
> 95 development - using gnat? The choices I am considering
> are :
> RH2/Debian/Suse.

The official distribution of GNAT from ACT is targetted at
Red Hat Linux. Version 3.10 was designed to be compatible
with RH version 4, and Version 3.11 is designed to be
compatible with RH version 5. Unless you are planning on
furious work over the holidays, I would wait for version
3.11, and then plan to use it with RH 5.

There has in the past also been a nice adaptation for
Debian, which we would expect to also happen for 3.11,
so if you prefer Debian that's probably fine too. I don't
know the status of GNAT with other versions of Linux.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies