From: dewarr@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Compiler Hosts and Targets
Date: 1998/12/22
Date: 1998-12-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <75ob4g$b6j$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
>> Well, yes. Since Pentiums run 486 code you can still
>*use* the system on a
> Pentium II. It just runs a lot slower than a Pentuim
> targetted system would
> have (which is more or less what they did tell us). But
> there is a least one
> arcane performance problem we have discovered because
> this is not an
> officially supported target. Our Ada vendor was no help
> here since it was a
> VxWorks problem. It was only fixed when a VxWorks
> representative flew out
> here and hacked our system in person. There may be more.

No, I am saying something different, it is perfectly
possible to run Pentium optimized code under VxWorks,
and any decent Ada compiler for the x86 should be able
to generate such code, and your Ada vendor should be able
to tell you how! For gnu-c code, gcc has the capability
of generating Pentium-optimized code that can be used
under gcc, and again your Ada vendor should be able to
tell you how to do this.

If they can't then this really is not a VxWorks limitation!