From: Srini - <rasikasrinivasan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GTK strangeness
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 06:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-10-01T06:19:25-07:00	[thread overview]

On Oct 1, 3:39 am, "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...@dmitry-kazakov.de>
wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:52:15 -0700 (PDT), RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have a strange situation.
>
> > I attempt to set the font to a different font than normal.
>
> > It appears this works fine for gtk.label.gtk_label but
> > gtk.button.gtk_button
>
> > Is this expected?
>
> That depends on how are you doing what. There are numerous ways of setting
> fonts to particular widgets and the font itself as a parameter/property of
> the widget can be of different flavors, e.g. a property, a style, a
> property style, bare argument of a call, coming with another widget etc.
>
> > Also I expected that all widgets would inherit some settings like font
> > from their container. Is this not so in gtk?
>
> There is no standard mechanism because of the variety of ways a widget may
> decide which font to use.
>
> Specifically to Gtk_Button, it is a container and the text in it can be any
> sort of thing. You can for example create a tree view and put it into the
> button. What would be the font? The answer is, that depends on what font
> and whom it actually belongs. In this case certainly not to the button.
>
> In the standard scenario, when the button label is set with Set_Label, the
> font is set by the widget style. There are ways to influence that and it
> again depends on how are you going to do it (programmatically, using
> resource files and schemas etc). Sorry, if that sounds confusing, but it
> is.
>
> OK, I didn't want to leave you with that. (:-)) So here is the most simple
> way to set the font programmatically. You create a button (Gtk_Button) with
> no text or images. Then you create a label (Gtk_Label) with the desired
> font and text. Then put that label into the button, which is a mere bin
> container. Here you are.
>
> If you need an icon too, create a Gtk_HBox put there the label and the
> image, put the box into the button. Done.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakovhttp://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Great.

I was using Modify_font which did not work.

This technique works great.

Perhaps there is a wiki or FAQ dedicated to GtkAda? If not might be
worth it. many subtleties.

My next question has to do with :

- font selection - a. the right way to access fonts installed on a
system with and without a selection dialog? for example I want to use
Verdana as the font for my dialogs/messages etc. should i look at some
mods to pango.aliases file?
- File_Selection Dialog My reading of the doc says, I build a dialog
based on the file_selection widget. and it does not appear to match
the native file_selection dialog. Eg windows or the mac have their own
"style" if you will.

thanks, srini