From: djs@actnyc.UUCP (Dave Seward)
Subject: Re: Commercialization of Ada Technology - Part 3
Date: 28 Mar 88 23:25:09 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <73@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>The real kicker about Ada is that is was *not* designed to be a
>general-purpose language!
>
>There is a common misconception that the DoD looks on Ada as a
>programming language for all purposes; they do not.  Ada was created
>as a language that would be suitable for developing imbedded command,
>control, and communications (C^3) systems.

While I won't argue with the claimed intent of the DoD, I point out that
the DoD itself did not design Ada, rather it put out a spec, and then
approved the submitted language. IMHO Ada *was* designed as a general
purpose language, with specific real time capabilities worked in. THIS IS
MY OPINION ONLY, I have no inside information to substantiate it.

Dave Seward
uucp!actnyc!djs