From: jm21@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Marks)
Subject: Re: Looking for MS-DOS ADA Compiler!!
Date: 29 Mar 90 21:52:16 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <903.260f5b00@ccvax.ucd.ie> h235_022@ccvax.ucd.ie (Gordon T Gopher at CCVAX) writes:
>In article <8766@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, slq@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Joey Schoeph)
> writes:
>> I'm in the process of learning ADA, and I have an IBM XT!  I'm looking for
>> a compiler for ADA on my PC.  If anyone could help me out, I would really
>> appreciate it!!  Please e-mail or post!

>...If however, anyone does have any info - even if
>the compiler can only run on a 386 with lots of ram, I'd love to hear about
>it...

We have two we are using here.  One, from Alsys requires an AT (or 386) and
about 3-4MB of expanded (I think) memory.  Therefore, it wouldn't be for you.
The other one, which we've gotten a license to use in an Ada class we're
taking, is from Meridian Software.  It's called AdaVantage, and will run on
an XT (with or without a math coprocessor).  Its a validated (legal) Ada
compiler with an available support environment.  I haven't had a chance
to use it much (I just got it a few days ago), so I can't comment much on
its speed or the quality of the code it produces.  You can get it with a
utility library, a DOS environment library and a development environment.
I didn't handle the purchase of our license, so I don't know how much it
costs (but based on the cost of our multi-user license, it must be well
over $100).  I think they may also have a less capable one (possibly
a subset) for less, though.  You can contact them at:

Meridian Software Systems, Inc.
10 Pasteur Street
Irvine, CA 92718

Sorry, I don't have a phone number.  However, they do have an E-mail address
for support; they might be able to help you.  Its

support@Meridian.COM

Hope this helps.

Jim Marks   (404)894-7255            Systems Engineering Laboratory
Compuserve: 72310,2410               Georgia Tech Research Institute
uucp:	    ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm21
Internet:   jm21@prism.gatech.edu -or- jmarks@gtri01.gatech.edu