From: billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 )
Subject: Re: Tucker's new proposal
Date: 22 Dec 89 20:39:12 GMT	[thread overview]

From stt@inmet.inmet.com:
> I *can* imagine a careful definition of conditional
> compilation mechanisms which would preserve the ability to
> recompile from parse trees.  This would *not* be a preprocessor
> approach, however.  [...]
%
%    Allow if constructs and case constructs within a sequence of
%    declarations, so long as all conditional and case
%    expressions are static, and each if/case "arm" contains
%    only declarations (rather than statements).
%
> The nice thing about this kind of approach is that it builds on the
> existing concepts of the language (namely static expressions,
> if/case constructs, and variant records), rather than introducing
> a new/foreign syntax like "#ifdef".

   I must be getting a bit too much of the spiked eggnog myself,
   because this is actually starting to sound like not too bad an
   idea...  can anyone think of counterarguments?

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu