From: bob@sdcsvax.UUCP (Robert Hofkin)
Subject: Re: Ada certification cost.
Date: Thu, 21-Mar-85 16:37:39 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Thu Mar 21 16:37:39 1985

Indeed, certification is one of the steps in the validation process.
The vendor runs the test suite in-house, before the testers come out.
Apparently the certification output is forwarded to the validation
people; they want to clear up ambiguities before the official run.  I'm
not sure why this is; with validation at around $10,000 a shot
[estimate--they don't seem to publicize the cost], you'd figure that
developers would be REALLY SURE they got it right first!  Last I heard,
the "real" test suite may include programs not available during the
certification phase.

And yes, at this point every host X target X operating system needs a
separate validation, and every validation must be renewed annually.