* Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-10  0:00 krreagan
From: krreagan @ 1998-12-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are implementing a message passing mechanism with two nodes on an isolated
network and would like to use Ada.Streams to pass the messages. The
LRM/Rational are not very detailed on the use of streams (Also Cohen is very
sparse on this subject).

We need to pack a message (Ada record) in to a stream and pass this through
our system (and maybe across the RS-232 serial link), when it gets to it's
destination we need to unpack it into the original data structure. Streams
seem to be the way to go but the documentation isn't very good. Any help
(preferably in the form of a small example) would be much appreciated.

TIA
Robin.

* Re: Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-11  0:00 ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <74pdkb$22v$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  krreagan@yahoo.com wrote:
> We are implementing a message passing mechanism with two
> nodes on an isolated
> network and would like to use Ada.Streams to pass the
> messages. The
> LRM/Rational are not very detailed on the use of streams
> (Also Cohen is very
> sparse on this subject).

Why not use annex E (distribution) facilities for solving
this problem, and avoid low level messing with streams!

* Re: Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-11  0:00   ` krreagan
From: krreagan @ 1998-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <74q9gp$ppc$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <74pdkb$22v$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   krreagan@yahoo.com wrote:
> > We are implementing a message passing mechanism with two
> > nodes on an isolated
> > network and would like to use Ada.Streams to pass the
> > messages. The
> > LRM/Rational are not very detailed on the use of streams
> > (Also Cohen is very
> > sparse on this subject).
>
> Why not use annex E (distribution) facilities for solving
> this problem, and avoid low level messing with streams!

We are using the ObjectAda compiler which does not support the distributed
computing (E) annex.

* Re: Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-11  0:00   ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <74q9gp$ppc$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <74pdkb$22v$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   krreagan@yahoo.com wrote:
> > We are implementing a message passing mechanism with two
> > nodes on an isolated
> > network and would like to use Ada.Streams to pass the
> > messages. The
> > LRM/Rational are not very detailed on the use of streams
> > (Also Cohen is very
> > sparse on this subject).
>
> Why not use annex E (distribution) facilities for solving
> this problem, and avoid low level messing with streams!

...which of course means "Why not switch to my compiler? And of course switch
your hardware to Sparc/Solaris or PC/Linux or Alpha/Decunix." :-)

To be fair, if I had that kind of need, I'd certainly try to get Annex E
support factored into my compiler and platform selection processes.

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-11  0:00 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 1998-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

krreagan@yahoo.com wrote in message <74pdkb$22v$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>We are implementing a message passing mechanism with two nodes on an
isolated
>network and would like to use Ada.Streams to pass the messages. The
>LRM/Rational are not very detailed on the use of streams (Also Cohen is
very
>sparse on this subject).
>
>We need to pack a message (Ada record) in to a stream and pass this through
>our system (and maybe across the RS-232 serial link), when it gets to it's
>destination we need to unpack it into the original data structure. Streams
>seem to be the way to go but the documentation isn't very good. Any help
>(preferably in the form of a small example) would be much appreciated.

You may find a couple of examples at my web site instructive, viz.:

ftp://ftp.ada95.com/pub/tagged_types.tgz
ftp://ftp.ada95.com/pub/pet_store.tgz

* Re: Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-11  0:00     ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <74rb67$lgj$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
essing with streams!

> ...which of course means "Why not switch to my compiler?
> And of course switch
> your hardware to Sparc/Solaris or PC/Linux or
> Alpha/Decunix." :-)

Please note that the information here is erroneous. Ada
Core Technologies can provide full support for Annex E
(GNAT and GLADE) for the following targets:

PC NT/Win95
DEC Unix
SGI Irix
PC Linux
Sparc Solaris
HPUX

For information on GLADE for these targets, or for
information on the status of GLADE for other targets (GLADE
is a highly portable technology), send mail to
sales@gnat.com.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Ada.Streams
@ 1998-12-11  0:00       ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <74rser$5vt$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <74rb67$lgj$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> essing with streams!
> >
> > And of course switch
> > your hardware to Sparc/Solaris or PC/Linux or
> > Alpha/Decunix." :-)
>
> Please note that the information here is erroneous. Ada
> Core Technologies can provide full support for Annex E
> (GNAT and GLADE) for the following targets:
>
> PC NT/Win95
> DEC Unix
> SGI Irix
> PC Linux
> Sparc Solaris
> HPUX

Its nice to hear the list has expanded by 3. I took my information off of
README available for GLADE via the web page to which the ACT website referrs
one for GLADE information. Perhaps it should be updated, replaced, or removed
if it contains "erroneous information".

--
T.E.D.