From: kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: egcs1.1b and gnat3.10p
Date: 1998/12/07
Date: 1998-12-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <m267borf5b.fsf@marius.teaser.fr> fabiven@teaser.fr writes:
>For me, all tests in the example directory of gnat pass (diners, hello,
>etc ...).
>
>But several other personal tests fail so i don't think this is
>really usable :-(.

I don't think it's going to be at all easy to get a reliably working mix
of GNAT 3.10P and EGCS at the moment.  You can come quite close, but there
are likely to be some suble code generation problems remaining.

The patches that have been discussed deal with the fact that EGCS has
changed the interface between the front ends and the core compiler in
an incompatible way.  Those are relatively straightforward.

Much more subtle problems relate to GCC patches included with GNAT to
fix bugs in GCC 2.8.1 related to alias detection and instruction scheduling.
Some of these patches were not applied to EGCS and are not applicable there
as written due to major changes by EGCS in this area.

Dealing with this situation is not at all trivial.  However, as part of the
process of merging EGCS improvements back in GCC, some of these issues
will come up and I will deal with them over the next couple of months.

It's much too early to guess the practicability or timeframe of proving
patches to the various GCC code bases to deal with these issues.