From: ftpbox!mothost!motcid!bachww@uunet.uu.net  (Bud Bach)
Subject: Re: Classic-Ada
Date: 18 Jul 91 15:22:09 GMT	[thread overview]

0004238973@MCIMAIL.COM (Frank Pappas) writes:

>  A recent posting asked for information about Classic-Ada.
> [...]
>  At the time I reviewed Classic-Ada, the preprocessor performed
>syntactic and semantic checking of the Classic-Ada extensions only.

Actually it does full Ada lexical and syntax analysis.  I wrote the lexer
and helped build the parser :).  The parser is implemented using ayacc from
UCI and the Ada grammer written by Herm Fischer.  It is true that it
only does semantic analysis on the extensions.

One of the more interesting new features is persistent objects.  Also SPS
has made significant improvements in the run-time performance.  Off the top
of my head, message sends were down to 2.5 times the performance of a
procedure call last time I worked with it.

As for related products, there is a European product called Dragoon and I
believe a proprietary tool that Harris Corp. has implemented.

Nice review.  -- Bud
--
Bud Bach - Consultant				c/o Motorola
708 632-6611					Cellular Infrastructure Group