From: grante@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Ada, not ADA
Date: 6 Apr 89 16:26:52 GMT	[thread overview]

in article <3149@bd.sei.cmu.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) says:

> Forgive me if you think this too trivial, but:
>
> The name of the programming language Mil-Std-1815A is not an
> acronym, it is a genuine word.  Unless there is some special
> reason for using all upper-case, it should be written "Ada",
> not "ADA".
>
> Thank you

Damn right!

And while we're on the subject, Pascal is also named
after a person.  That is why only the *first* letter of
the name is upper case.  As far as I know, ADA stands for
the American Dental Association.  I haven't seen anything
which has the acronym PASCAL.

People who insist on writing ADA and PASCAL probably also
pronounce the word "nuclear" as if it were spelled "nucular"
(but that's a peeve of another color)