From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT & GPS on Linpus Linux
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:03:53 +0200
Date: 2009-04-07T12:03:53+02:00	[thread overview]

gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I am about to buy a mini-laptop with the Linpus operating system
> installed, which is a variety of Linux if I understand well.
> Did someone have experiences with GNAT and GPS (GPL) on such a beast ?
> Any advice about which version / distro / whatever to use ?
> I have close to zero experience with Linux and would like to keep the
> maintenance to the minimum - in order to keep enough time for
> programming :-).

Perhaps you refer to an Acer Aspire One, which comes with linpus (I have
one). I don't like the linpus variant (is an old Fedora 8 with some custom
packages that prevent proper use of the full F8 repos), but I still keep it
because I love the ultra-fast boot. However, if some day it breaks, I will
go for either eeebuntu or the ubuntu netbook remix variants. I've read that
most hardware in the aa1 is functional with these, barring some minor
things.

To your question: never tried to install gnat on linpus, but certainly it
works on ubuntu, and you can get ubuntu running on the aa1 with relative
ease (although if you have the 512M ram version it can be a real problem. It
will boot to desktop okay, but once you open a firefox and something else it
will be a lazy dog. And gnat/gcc can require some good memory sometimes).

OTOH, once you break out of the default linpus gui, with yum you can install
a great deal of F8 packages, which may allow for gnat on linpus. Never
tried, though.

However you say you have little linux experience, and I'm afraid that in any
case you'll need some initial tinkering for any of the options to succeed.
So brace yourself... ;)

Some links:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
http://www.eeebuntu.org/