From: bourguet@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Abstract Data Types (and a question)
Date: 1998/11/26
Date: 1998-11-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <365BD117.3EAE@imag.fr>,
  Xavier Nicollin <Xavier.Nicollin@imag.fr> wrote:
[...]
> By the way, I have a syntactic question about the parsing of the
> expression ``Abstract Data Type'': should it be undertood as
> ``(Abstract Data) Type'' or as ``Abstract (Data Type)''. In other words,
> which one is abstract, the data or the type? My preference goes to the
> ``data are abstract'' version, but (AFAIK), almost everyone in the
> francophone world uses the ``type is abstract'' version, i.e. they write
> ``Type abstrait de donnees'' instead of ``Type de donnees abstraites''.
> You lucky english-speaking people with your postfix syntax don't have to
> worry about this somehow pedantic question!

They can't do the difference and they are lucky?

For me, abstract data type and concrete data type are the two kinds of
data type, so I think the correct translation is "type abstrait de donnees"
or "type de donnees abstrait".

BTW, when a series of adjectives followed by a noun are used in English,
usually, the correct order in french is the noun followed by the adjective
in the reverse order. That may explain your confusion.

-- Jean-Marc Bourguet