From: firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
Subject: Re: is this a bug of my Ada compiler
Date: 13 Oct 88 12:50:32 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <243@cui.UUCP> bertrand@cui.UUCP (IBRAHIM Bertrand) writes:

>In the following sample code, I've been very surprised not to be warned by the
>compiler that the initial value for k was out of range:

    procedure bug is

    type T is range 0..255;
    k: constant T := 16#FFE1#;

    begin
      null;
    end bug;

>Even at execution time, no exception was raised.

Since the constant K is never subsequently used, the compiler
has probably optimised your code and deleted both K and the
initial assignment to it.  That is legitimate [RM 11.6 (7)],
but I confess I'd rather have had a compile-time warning.

[The person who thought up that
 rule about having to add at least
 as much matter as you quote was
 a BLOODY MORON