From: wellerd@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (David Weller)
Subject: Re: AdaZ
Date: 7 Dec 90 17:45:49 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <62901205205926.0004238973NC3EM@mcimail.com> 0004238973@MCIMAIL.COM (Frank Pappas) writes:

>real. If any PC Ada compiler deserves to be called ``Turbo'' Ada, its
>AdaZ. It's not perfect.  There's a few minor things that I think need
>fixing, but nothing that would prevent me from strongly recommending
>it. And I can say this after having reviewed every PC Ada Compiler on
>the market. (If you read the review I wrote for PC Week, AdaZ is what
>Merdian was originally calling Reach.)
>
>  Consider what you get for $149:

Yes, it's quite a bargain.  The question is:  Will Meridian continue
this practice?  My mailing indicated that on Dec 25th, the price
jumps up to $495 (Merry Christmas :-) ).  I know a lot of students
in the local area that would jump at the chance for a cheep Ada
compiler, but most want to wait until Jan.  As for myself, I have
used the Meridian Ada compiler for some time, and have found it
to be sufficient for light to medium projects.  I am sure that,
over time, this will become a more polished product.  The folks at
Meridian deserve a pat on the back (especially you, Pammy!) for
listening to the masses of people who wanted Ada, but didn't want
to take out a second mortgage.  Of course, somehow, I can't imagine
Alsys or Telesoft slashing prices (Imagine Apple cutting the cost
of a Mac IIfx in half)..

>  If you know someone who needs an Ada compiler for training purposes
>or who just wants to find out what this A-D-A language is all about,
					 ^^^^^^
Sadly, I still get those kind of questions from people (CS types, no
less!).

Well, to my intended point:  I am aware of a company (name escapes
me -- they made a big impression) that was marketing a CASE tool
called Ada_Z...have they changed their name, gone out of business,
or can't afford an ambulance-chaser to sue Meridian? :-)

Dave Weller            |   *This message void where prohibited by law.
Computer Sciences Corp.|   *Batteries not included.  Member FDIC.

Disklaimer:  "Hey, that's my floppy, give it back!"